The local newspaper for Peru is the NewsTribune (former newspapers include the Daily Post-Tribune, Daily News-Tribune, La Salle Republican, and the La Salle Daily Tribune). The library has back issues on microfilm or CD-Rom for the years April 1906 to present.
We purchased a new microfilm machine in April 2019. The Scan Pro3000 allows patrons to save newspaper articles to a flash drive (memory stick), email and/or traditional paper prints. Staff are available to start you with the microfilm machine, a short instructional guide is available at the library and through our website.
Indexes to the News-Tribune
There is not a single, inclusive index to the various historical newspapers serving the Peru area. The following indexes cover portions of the newspapers.
- 1888-1890 and 1906-1915 (available in paper only)
- Shadensack Index 1908-1945 (mentions only deaths)
- News Tribune Index — Feb 1916 – 24 Jan 1920 – UPDATED 11 February 2019
- Daily Post-Tribune 1942 Victory Edition (area residents serving in the military)
- Daily Post-Tribune 1943 Stars and Stripes Edition (area residents serving in the military)
- Daily Post-Tribune 1944 Stars and Stripes Editions (area residents serving in the military) ADDED 12 February 2019
- Daily News-Tribune 1960 Peru 125th Birthday edition
- Daily News-Tribune 1961 Spring Valley 75th Anniversary
- News-Tribune Bicentennial Edition (I) April 29, 1976, and (II) July 1, 1976
- News-Tribune La Salle 125th Birthday Edition (19 July 1977)
- Index to the News-Tribune, 1983-July 1997 (indexes names and broad subjects)
The La Salle Genealogy Guild indexed the obituaries from several southeastern La Salle county newspapers; their online obituary index is posted on the Guild’s website.
News-Tribune: A Year in Memoriam
Since 2004, the News-Tribune compiles a yearly listing of area obituaries, providing a starting point when searching for a recent obituary.